Master's Program in Environment and Development -PMAD-
PMAD Admission Process
The public admission call for the 18th promotion of the Master's Program in Environment and Development (to start in the first semester of 2018) is open in the second semester of 2017.
The call will be launched by the National Admissions Division, in accordance to the schedule arranged by the Universidad Nacional de Colombia.
For more information, please consult the call here: (el link de posgrado) and the step by step guide in: (el otro link):
Profile of the Research applicant
Graduates from different fields of knowledge (natural, social and human sciences, engineering), with sensitivity towards environmental issues, interest in research, capacity for teamwork, critical and proactive attitude, and leadership. It is also an asset to have work, studies or research experience in the environmental field.
Profile of the Professional Emphasis applicant
Professionals from all areas of knowledge, with capacity for teamwork, leadership, critical and proactive attitude; demonstrating academic and professional interest in the environmental field, and willing to contribute from an interdisciplinary and integral approach to solve environmental problems of Colombian society.
- Having a professional degree, duly legalized. The program will admit professionals from different disciplinary backgrounds as long as they comply with the requirements related to their capacities and interest to approach the study of environmental issues.
- Candidates who are residing overseas must comply with the same requirements as the candidates residing in Colombia. For more information, please consult this link:
- Candidates with disabilities must follow these instructions:
- Students choosing degree option – admission in advance to graduate studies in the Universidad Nacional de Colombia: http://admisiones.unal.edu.co/posgrado/panel-1-informacion-para-aspirantes/informacion-para-aspirantes-segunda-columna/aspirantes-que-se-encuentran-fuera-de-colombia/
- Para los estudiantes de opción de grado – modalidad admisión anticipada al posgrado de la Universidad Nacional de Colombia:
The following information is disclosed complying with the guideline given by the University (Article 16 of the Agreement 26 of 2002, Academic Council) in relation to the procedure that must be followed by the undergraduate students that wish to choose the degree option in order to be admitted in a postgraduate program:
- In order to apply for this program, undergraduate students must follow the procedure established by the National Admissions Direction. They will not pay for the registration rights but they must follow the normal procedure to formalize it (online registration).
- The undergraduate students must pre-register in their curricular program, and each program will formally (in writing) present the student before the PMAD. Only then the student is able to register online in the web page (link de las inscripciones)
- En el momento de la inscripción el aspirante debe estar cursando último semestre de materias del plan de estudios de la respectiva carreraThe student must be in his/her last semester (according to the syllabus) when he/she registers in the web page.
These candidates will also go through the regular admission procedures of the program.
Please note: the undergraduate students that choose the degree option – postgraduate subjects in the Universidad Nacional de Colombia are different from those who choose the degree option – admission in advance to graduate studies. They will not be admitted to the PMAD as postgraduate students unless they follow the regular procedures once they have completed an undergraduate degree and have approved all the requirements.
The selection and admission procedure to the PMAD follows the following stages and criteria:
The applicants must present an aptitude test designed by the Universidad Nacional de Colombia in order to assess general aptitudes (related to reading comprehension and mathematical aptitude). This test has a scale from 0.0 to 5.0 and is eliminatory. The minimum score to approve the test and continue in the admission process is 3.0.
Only the applicants who obtain a score of minimum 3.0 in the aptitude test will continue to the second stage. Those who did not approve the test may collect their documentation in the coordination office of the PMAD from November 21st to December 9th 2016.-->
1. Thesis Pre-project or Final Work Pre-proposal:
Since the first semester of 2014 the PMAD has been offering the Professional Emphasis program, so the applicants have now two choices. For that reason it is very important that the applicants have a clear idea as to which program they will choose, because that determines the type of pre-project they will present:
- Thesis Pre-project: the applicant presents must write a research pre-project that will be developed as thesis during the Master's program. This pre-project must contain at least: definition of the problem, objectives, state of the art, and theoretical or conceptual framework. The extension of this document must not surpass 5 pages.
- Final Work Pre-proposal: the applicant must write a tentative pre-proposal that will be developed as Final Work during the Master's program. This pre-proposal must contain at least: definition of the problem, objectives, state of the art, and theoretical or conceptual framework. The extension of this document must not surpass 5 pages.
Note: please check the description of each PMAD program in order to identify the differences between the thesis/thesis project and the final work/final work proposal.
2. Curriculum Vitae
The applicant must submit the proofs of his/her academic, professional and research achievements, which will be revised by the evaluation committee of the PMAD.
The following documents must be delivered at the PMAD in Calle 44 # 45 – 67 Unidad Camilo Torres Bloque B2 – Instituto de Estudios Ambientales (IDEA), office 19, for definition 2017, ONLY in this time frame: 9:00 am to 12:00 or 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm. The documents must be handed out inside a manila envelope, marked with the name of the applicant, ID, professional title (degree) and contact data (address, land line, mobile phone and email). The following order of the documents must be respected.
- Curriculum Vitae Template, with a picture (mandatory)
- Copy of cédula de ciudadanía or valid ID (mandatory)
- Copy of military card (military ID)
- Copy of undergraduate diploma(s) (mandatory)
- Original grade certificate(s) of the undergraduate studies with GPA (mandatory)
- Copy of postgraduate diploma(s) (mandatory)
- Original grade certificate(s) of the postgraduate studies with GPA (if the postgraduate studies are not finished, include an original grade certificate with the grades obtained so far) (mandatory)
- Copies of diplomas or certificates of other studies and participation in events (courses, workshops, seminars, diplomas) (if applicable)
- Proof of foreign language skills (if applicable)
- Awards or distinctions (if applicable)
- Publications (if applicable)
- Certifications of professional experience (mandatory. All the professional experience mentioned in the CV must have a matching proof. Copies of contracts are not accepted)
- Thesis Pre-project or Final Work Pre-proposal (mandatory)
- Copy of the online registration or the citation to the initial tests (mandatory)
Only the applicants that continue to the second stage (final tests) will be called to an interview, according to the dates and the schedule of the admission process.